10 October 2006

LAs with Attitude

In reviewing the plant list for a certain project along the Bronx River, I finally embraced the fact that many landscape architects are very resistant to using natives.

For starters, I pointed out a number of invasives trees, shrubs and forbs that were on the list and suggested suitable native alternatives. I also commented on the compatibility of other exotic species with site conditions and proximity to natural areas.

This was one comment back...

Cotoneaster apiculatus and Spiraea japonica (both of which I said were invasive) are only found in the medians on East Tremont and Devoe. They were chosen for their hardiness in order to survive this hostile environment (because native plants are never found in hostile environments?!? she said dripping with sarcasm). If NYSDOT agrees we can replace the Cotoneaster with Arctostaphylos uva-uri or Myrica pensylvania, and the Spiraea with Itea virginica or Clethra alnifolia (my suggested replacements). You'd think I was asking them to donate a kidney. Sheesh.

No comments: