28 April 2007

Sourland Mountains, NJ

All this rain is ruining my plant walks! I've been looking forward to the Raritain River floodplain walk on Torrey Botanical Society's field trip page. Bluebells, bluebells, and bluebells. They are really just gorgeous. And, for some reason, not in New York. So, I would've gotten my fix if it hadn't rained. And I hadn't gotten lost. Instead, I went to Sourland Mountain Nature Preserve.

Early saxifrage
(Saxifraga virginiensis) on a muddy lump. Note the hairy stems. These sticky stalks protect its precious nectar and pollen from maurading non-pollinators such as ants.

Pennywort
(Obolaria virginica) is an interesting wildflower with its reduced, scale-like leaves. This species is no longer found in NYC.

Emerging rattlesnake fern
(Botrychium virginianum). A persnickety fern, a good indicator of ecological integrity, due to its relationship with mycorrhizal fungi. This species is rare in NYC.
Wild licorice leaves (Galium circaezans)

Jack in the pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum) with deep burgundy stripes on spathe, which acts as an umbrella for the spadix, the actual inflorescence hiding inside which bears tiny blossoms.

No comments: